News From The Field: November 2017
Welcome to our monthly feature, News from the Field! This is an extension of the bottom of our newsletter. We will be providing you with some of the latest news, resources, and local & national professional development opportunities. If you haven’t already, sign up to get our monthly e-newsletter in your inbox.
November is National Adoption Month. Check out some resources from us and others below, along with some early winter professional development opportunities!
November is National Adoption Month! #NAM2017
Check out our work on this National Adoption project: Quality Improvement Center for Adoption & Guardianship Support & Preservation
We are exploring several adoption-related topics this month! Check out what we’ve already done and stay tuned all month long!
November 6 – 10th: Adoption is a Lifelong Journey, not a one-time event.
- We discussed our preliminary findings of the Texas Youth Permanency Study (TYPS) pilot study on our blog. TYPS will follow a cohort of youth in Texas foster care to learn more about what happens as they emerge into adulthood. The major finding from the pilot study?Legal Permanency is not always permanent.
- TYPS Researchers Tym and Monica did a Coffee Breaks with TXICFW Facebook Live session on the topic on November 8th. View it here!
November 13 – 17th
This week we’ll be focusing on the 100,000+ children in foster care waiting for adoption.
We’ll be highlighting the important work and helpful resources from AdoptUSKids, a national project from The Children’s Bureau that provides technical assistance to child welfare systems. We will be featuring a guest blog from them on our website and check out some of their resources below:
- Finding a Fit that Will Last a Lifetime: A Guide to Connecting Adoptive Families With Waiting Children
- Improving Recruitment Outcomes: 11 Things a Practitioner Can Do
- A number of resources for working with diverse communities ( for LGBTQ, rural, military, and Native youth, families & communities)
- They have a newsletter specifically dedicated to helping child welfare professionals.
November 20 – 24th we’ll be focusing on Children who were adopted and have unique needsand the week of November 27th – December 1st we’ll talk more about how birth parents matter!
News from the Field
Texans Care for Children: 1:00 to 3:00 pm on Tuesday, November 14th (TODAY) at the Texas Hospital Association, located at 1108 Lavaca Street #700 in Austin.Creating Youth Friendly Healthcare Spaces
HYP Monthly Workshop at LifeWorks Austin, November 28th 3-4:30 pm, 1.5 Free CEUsNew Guide from TNOYS: Understanding Youth Rights
Helping providers navigate the laws and policies affecting unaccompanied homeless youth.
Building Bright futures: A policy Summit on Supporting Healthy Moms, Babies, and Childhood Development
December 6th, 8:30- 4:30 pm, ATX
TNOYS: Promising Practices for Latina Youth: A Toolkit
Webinar on December 14th, 1:30 to 2:30 pm
Become a Mentor
Youth with incarcerated parents can prosper despite their current circumstances and challenges, and you can help. Learn more about #CWConf17 workshop presenter, Seedling Foundation’s Mentoring Program.